Translate

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One Flower Wednesday.....Cow and Chickens in the Tornado.......and still working on the Dresdens

Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself. -Og Mandino




Ok, I confess that I have never read Frank Baum's book, The Wizard of Oz, but I have seen the movie a gazillion times...................and remember the part after Dorothy get's hit in the head and loses consciousness on her bed during the tornado??? And then she wakes up and looks out the window and sees all the stuff flying by in the tornado????  A cow flies by and some chickens........two men in a rowboat, Mrs. Gulch on her bicycle (who then turns into the Wicked Witch of the East right before the Dorothy's house falls on her????? Remember?????

Well, I remember, and I think this cow and these chickens will make their way into the Oz hanging..........I wrestled with wanting to stick to the movie in that at the beginning while in Kansas it was filmed all in sepia tones but as soon as Dorothy stepped out of her house into the land of Oz, everything became beautiful color...........but I'm not sure if I will do that or not........so at least part of my tornado will be in a grayish-green color which I found in this batik fabric...............

 I couldn't decide which background I liked the best; the Mexican Primroses or the Periwinkle leaves, so here are both for you...............there are more beautiful flowers growing at Karen's Journey of a Quilter page.........click here to see them all!

I worked a little more on my Dresden State Bird quilt last week and got 15 of the 30 "extra" circles appliqued onto the top..........Once I get the other 15 on it will be ready to pin to the backing and quilt!

Here is where I am at so far...............


 I wasn't happy with the way the circles looked in the corners....they just looked lost and "forlorn" so I cut a 5x5 charm and put behind each one using the same fabric as the border and then set them on point and that did the trick!  I even like the contrast of having the diamond shapes with the plates....if you look close you can see the plain circles in the row directly above the ones with the charm background..........I also turned the birds on the side drops a quarter turn so that they won't be sideways when the quilt is on the bed...........

Guess that's all I have for you today...........TaTa For now................


18 comments:

Karen said...

Both photos are excellent, as are your flowers! Look at you go with your Dresden quilt, wonderful!

Hilachas said...

I like your hexie flowers no matter how you photograph them. I'm as excited about seeing your Oz wall hanging as you are. The Dresden Plate colcha is coming along beautifully.

Gerda Hartman said...

Love the dresden quilt. It is on my wishlist too. And your flowers are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

love those Hexies Ida and whow that quilt is fantastic,well done.xx

Paula said...

What a beautiful flowers this week, I like both photos. And you dresden quilt is gorgeous.

Rachel said...

Love the way your Oz blocks are evolving! BEAUTIFUL dresdens! Great job(s)!

hafza said...

Beautiful flowers...whichever background you used they still looks beautiful..I love both!!

Maria said...

Both photo shoots of the Oz flowers look good.
Lovely Dresden Plate quilt..

annemieke said...

What a lovely flowers and the one whit the cow is very cute,

Cherie said...

HAHA! The cow and chicken! They look great!
Loving the progress on the quilt. It's funny how you can lay something out, not love it and want to change it. Just as well you hadn't sewn them on yet =D

Janet said...

I confess that I've never seen the Wizard of Oz movie, or read the book. But it is such a popular tale that I know the gist of the story and some of the details. I think your cow and chicken are going to look fantastic. I'm glad you told us about pre trip part of the movie being in black and white because I didn't know that. I can't wait to see this quilt. It will be wonderful, I am sure!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I think the cow and chickens will be a perfect addition to the other hexies. They are so cute!
I like your addition of putting the charms under your circles. It really helps those circles to pop.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I LOVE that state bird fabric. Is that still around or is it from your stash? If it's still around I want some!!!
; )
V

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

To Anonymous....unfortunately I cannot answer you by email but hopefully you will check this post again for the answer to your question: Yes the State Bird Fabric is still available....VIP Fabrics....I believe you can find it on equilter web site.

Quilter Raised in the South said...

First time I saw Wizard of Oz I was lying on the couch with mumps and it hurt like crazy. The flying monkeys creeped me out. I could never get into the book, just could not finish the first one. Great hexies.

Anthea said...

Ida the flowers look great - I like the batik, very tornado-ish! Do yourself a favour & read the book!

Mrs.Pickles said...

your hexie flowers are too cute!! and that Dresden quilt is fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

I found some of the state bird fabric on ebay!
V