Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to Work and A Couple of Birthday Gifts

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another.    ― Napoleon Hill 

 
It's Friday .....oops, didn't get the post done last night so it is really Saturday morning now.....ummmm....make that Sunday...lol........(this post was a long time in the making..haha)..........If it was still Friday I would have told you that I was just starting my work week....but now I'm already halfway through it.........just work tomorrow and Tuesday and then I'm off again til Friday night!

Last week I worked on a couple of Birthday gifts........one for this weekend and the other for next weekend for a couple of my co-workers.
Both are sewing kits, which come from a tutorial on my sister's blog, Hilachas, in case you are interested in making one......they are handy little kits for carrying around your embroidery or hexagon flowers or anything you might want to work on while you are waiting, for example, at the Dr.s office or auto service place, etc.....

Here is the gift I made for Kathy, who likes celestial themes..... 

 
   Front and back each have a pocket and the inside has even more pockets...........

 Inside.......more pockets plus zip-lock plastic pockets for all your sewing goodies.............I think if I made one of these for myself it would be a great hexagon flower wallet for carrying around when I had to wait like while my car gets an oil change, etc.........I've made 4 of them so far and given them all away.....guess I need to change that and make the next one for Moi............

Here is  April's gift............


April loves skeletons and skulls.....(we all work in the radiology department so the human skeleton is our "trademark")....



 I cut two of the skulls from the fabric and appliqued them to the inside, and then quilted around each one.
ok...........now the confession...........I have made so many of these already and sometimes I change them up......for instance if the fabric I'm using has a motif that I don't want to cover with a pocket I will usually omit the outside pockets and that was my plan for this one........

First let me tell you about one of the "warnings" my Sister and I give each other from time to time:
 "DON'T make this like you know what you're doing"
and the reason for that is that it seems when we "know what we're doing", we make more silly mistakes because we aren't paying attention............

Ok.........notice the little skull motif I used for the applique on this extra scrap of material left over after I had cut out the outside piece and the inside pockets?


 well I DIDN'T cut it out of the extra piece.....I cut it out of the piece I had cut for the outside of the wallet!

Oh my gosh!  I could NOT believe it!.........luckily the left over scrap piece matched up perfectly so I added a patch to fix my blunder and then covered it all with an outside pocket..........
hahaha........I'm still cracking up at myself on that one..........thank goodness it was a relatively easy fix.....

And....hey..... guess what I got in the mail yesterday!  I got the Wizard of Oz print I ordered earlier in the week so I could finish making the Lollipop Guild Kids and the Coroner holding the Death Certificate.........and I also ordered another half yard of a sepia print that I'm going to make a wonderful surprise for One Flower Wednesday next week.........so stay tuned!


Ok then, I am going upstairs to the sewing room now to work on the flowers and try to stay awake as long as I can (worked graveyard shift last night) ........so Ta-Ta for now!



9 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

These are so handy and cute.Lucky gals!! =)
Yep, it's when we think we know exactly what we're doing that the teeth of humility tend to bite us in the butt.
Now go stitch one of these for yourself!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Ah the graveyard shift......I did that for 17 years.....I don't miss it one little bit!

Mrs.Pickles said...

great looking projects! Don't you hate when you know better turns into you don't know anything..lol

Hilachas said...

Well, nice sewing kits and, as Pa Ingalls and I always say, "All's well that ends well." Glad you know what you're doing. I'm glad your Oz fabric arrived. I can hardly wait for the next episode of the ongoing Oz Saga.

Cherie said...

What great kits! So glad to say I own one thanks to you!! I just need to do more travelling to get some good use out of it now! =D

Melody said...

That sounds like the sort of thing I'd do. So glad you could cover up your error. These are such delightful sets.

Barb said...

Your gifts are just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

you are so clever Ida and good reminders that you and your sister give each other.xx

Needled Mom said...

Isn't that the way it always happens? Confidence is a dangerous thing. Looking forward to the next hexies!!!

Your gifts are terrific and such a good idea.