Translate

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

One Flower Wednesday and some Christmas Gifts....

You can never do a kindness to soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.   --Ralph Waldo Emerson




It's that day again...........the day when Karen at Journey of a Quilter puts her linky up for One Flower Wednesday and if you will click on the link I provided you can see all the beautiful hexagon flowers growing there..................
Here are the hexies I have to show you  this week.  This is one of the flowers that transitions from Munchkinland houses to the sky......That is a Munchkinland Rooftop you see in the bottom center petal and you might remember the bubbles coming down and around Glinda, the Good Witch of the North.....


The flower fits between these two partial flowers.......

Like this.............

So next week remember I showed you all the equivalent of two flowers today in case all I have to show you is where they fit into the wall hanging......lol......and I have a good excuse if I don't get another flower ready because I have been busy trying to work on all those Christmas tote-bags I told you about on my last post.......

so far I have finished two of them...............a "Frieda Kahlo" bag and a "Radiology Bones" bag..............One of the ladies on my staff loves all things Frieda Kahlo and another loves all things having to do with bones and Radiology............so here they are:

First, here is Frieda...................and this is the same pattern I used on the "Pink for the Cure Bag" I showed you on my last post....

 Both the outside and lining have this cool bottom part..... so it sits nice and flat when you set it down...

 Inside of Frieda Bag------>
I used the same fabric inside as I used on the upper portion of the outside of the bag.  Although I love the way it looks and matches and I believe this was the right fabric to use on this bag I still like the ease of using the pre-quilted fabric, as well as the stability it gives the bag  when used for the inside.


And here is the Radiology "Bones Bag".......(I would NEVER pick this fabric for me but she's gonna love it!  Would you believe the fabric even glows in the dark???  Yep...it does...)
This pattern is called "For Pleats Sake" and is a free U-handbag pattern .

When reading the instructions about the "V-openings" I was a bit lost and wasn't sure what was meant by that (I do not love reading instructions...)  but after finishing them I was so amazed.  These so-called V-openings.....(I prefer to call them "side slits" haha) give so much more access to the inside of the deep bag.....you can see EVERYTHING clear down to the bottom!  As you can see I used the pre-quilted fabric on the inside of this bag.....


I have one more bag to go and this one will have a celestial theme to it......I finally picked a pattern and, of course, I couldn't just use the pattern "as is" but instead made a few changes.....I'm all done except for the handle and the closure..... ............I'll plan to show that finish to you on Friday so Ta-Ta for now......................




 

12 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Cool bags! Esp. the bones. :) I can't wait to see your hexies all together. :)

Anonymous said...

wow Ida you sure have been busy,love that you put so much thought into those bags,what a great friend you are,and of course those hexie's are unreal,good work my friend.xx

Maria said...

YourWizard of Oz hexies are coming together nicely.Great bags you have made too.

Kat said...

I think I'll be just as happy seeing where these pieces all fit on the wall hanging as I would be with another flower. Honestly, it's pretty hard to disappoint me when it comes to the Oz hexies! :-)

I love the bags! How fun is the glow-in-the-dark fabric? Even the pattern name is fun! I made two bags this week (will show them on Friday) but they are definitely more traditional than yours. I've bookmarked all your patterns!

Rose said...

Your hexies are like watching a jigsaw puzzle come together--great work! Nice bags too.

heather said...

Your hexi quilt is really starting to come together.

Cherie said...

Glad to see you're still making progress with those flowers! Do you know how many more you've got to make?

Such great looking bags. It's good to try out new things. I have a magazine with templates if you're interested =D

Mrs.Pickles said...

wonderful work!! I am making hexies for the first time tonight...eeek..lol

Karen said...

Story time and I am loving it! Excellent bags too.

Anthea said...

I love coming to you for my weekly Oz fix Ida, well done my friend!
All of the totes are wonderful, but I must say Frida is my favourite. I must go look for that tutorial, thanks for the tip.
x

Hilachas said...

What a great job you're doing on everything. The hexie wall hanging is coming along beautifully and the bags are fantastic. Your friends will love them for sure. WTG!

Janet said...

I love both the bags! Freida is so eccentric - it's amazing that you found fabric with - is it actually her work? And the glow in the dark bones are great. More fabulous work on the hexies too...