Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Witches in Bubbles.....One Flower Wednesday

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.   ― Mark Twain 

Last week I teased you all with a flower with a whole lot of pink in it.....and this week I will show you who it is!  

My lovely blogging friend, Kat, from Made with Love and Ladybug Hugs is two for two now! (Me thinks I am not the only Wizard of Oz Groupie around these parts..).......
When Dorothy first met Glinda, (The good witch), Glinda came floating down in a big bubble and when I made the original Glinda flower below, I was trying to sort of make her look like she was in a bubble by using the bubbly, swirly fabrics.....


 
After finding the new Oz fabric which included more of her body, I decided to switch out the center of the flower with a different view of Glinda.....

 And I also took out one of the petals above and moved another one down using it as a paver, instead, in an effort to try to make it look like she had just"floated" down in the bubble.....I don't know how successful I was but I think I can see it if I squint and hold my head just the right way.....lol......

Here she is in her place next to the Lollipop Guild........

 I am continuing to work on this section of the quilt and next week I will show you the flower that will connect the Munchkinland houses to the sky.....

Some of my followers have asked if I have been following some kind of "Master Plan" or if this is coming to me as I work on it and the answer is "Yes"......LOL

Let me explain;  I do have a plan in my head but when I first envisioned this plan I didn't have much of the Oz fabric that I have found since starting the project.  I learned that Timeless Treasures printed about 6 different Oz collections which are now out of print but I have been able to get my hands on quite a few of them.  These great Oz prints  have lent themselves so well to the idea in my head.
 At times, I have had to kind of adapt the flowers I made at the beginning and I have several flowers I made at the beginning that I'm really not sure where I will put them......til I get there.......

So, just like Dorothy did......I am exploring my way through Oz and at the end of my adventure I will have a wonderful Quilt to hang in my Dining Room that says, "There's No Place Like Home".......

Ta-Ta for now......talk to you again next time.........

Don't forget to go to Karen's Flower Garden at Journey of a Quilter to see the other pretty flowers growing there..............


  

 

13 comments:

Rachel said...

It is looking FABULOUS!!

Maria said...

I am in awe of what you are doing with the hexies Ida...

Hilachas said...

I think you've been really successful in all you've done with your hexies. You keep coming up with one good idea after another, you keep us all in suspense each week, and you continue to deliver marvelous things for us to view.

Hennie said...

This is just marvelous ! ! !

Gr Hennie.

suz said...

I am seriously impressed!

Cherie said...

Wow god to see you making progress. I love how you get all the petals so neatly lined up together like that! =D

Needled Mom said...

It was such fun to see the hexies in a block setting. They are just so much fun to see as you work on them.

Loved seeing the Halloween costumes. What fun you have had over the years with your sewing! Did the sewing come before the quilting.

sunny said...

I love following along each week. Can't wait to see the next installment.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Amazing what you've done in the land of Oz! I'm impressed with how your hexies tell such a colorful story.

Anthea said...

Your Land of Oz will be a masterpiece, a storybook right there in handmade hexagon heaven!

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Oh my goodness - what a beautiful garden you are growing. I've never seen a picture made from hexies before and yours is incredible. Great job!

Karen said...

Very successful, I would say!

Kat said...

She is so beautiful!!! I think she's my favorite one yet. (Until the next one, of course!) xoxox