Translate

Saturday, November 2, 2013

A quick finish...................


A good friend is a connection to life, a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world.
— Lois Wyse




I have had this piece of fabric in my stash since before I even knew it was called a stash.......it was a pretty Christmas border print that I knew would make a beautiful tablecloth but none of my tables were ever the right size for it since it was just about 45 x 48 inches.........

But I realized last week that it was the perfect size for my Mom's kitchen table!  She uses a tablecloth everyday and this will be great for the holidays.

The fabric is a Christmas motif by "The Kesslers for Concord Fabrics, Inc" and depicts a lace tablecloth and lots of beautiful desserts in lovely serving dishes.... and pretty china coffee cups.....looks like an afternoon ladies tea party, complete with wrapped gifts, flowers, and christmas cards......I would love to be invited to this party, wouldn't you?




I found some red fabric with gold stars for the back, which was not quite as wide as the Kessler print so I added some gold fabric to the ends and then just followed the diagonals when I quilted it in the center and followed the scallops for quilting the edges.........(you can't really see the quilting here because of the busy print......)




This was really one of those really quick projects.........not much to do but sew three or four seams and.......ta-da.............which is how much of my sewing history had been before I got the "quilting bug".......but it really is kind of fun to do one of these "instant gratification" projects...........

Tonight, since I work the graveyard shift.....while all of you are enjoying an extra hour sleep.......(sad violin music, please).....I will be awake and working an extra hour!  LOL.....this happens on my shift twice during the year......in the spring they make it up to us by letting us work an hour less......so I guess it all works out in the end............so off I go to get ready.......ta-ta for now.............

7 comments:

Helen said...

It's beautiful and what a bonus hardly any effort, well done. I know your mum will love it. It be be special having a lovely tea party on it :)))

Needled Mom said...

I want to go to that tea party too!!! Your mom will love it.

That is the problem with the graveyard shift at the fall changing. Hope it was a quiet night for you at any rate.

Hilachas said...

Oh, I love that tablecloth and Mama will too. I agree that it's nice to finish something quickly and get on with your life. Some of the quilts just seem to take forever. By now you've survived working that extra hour and are back at work again. Have a good week. It will be Wednesday before you know and you can start a new project. You've been so productive already.

sunny said...

It's pretty! Sorry you had to work that extra hour. I spent mine sewing at retreat.

Kat said...

How pretty, I'm sure your mom will love it. I love the satisfaction of a start with a quick finish! Now I have to go check what fabric like that I have hanging around so I can copy your idea :-).

Anthea said...

Great table topper Ida! I love the use of the border print, great way to get a pretty & practical item, for not a lot of work!! x

Janet said...

That is a beautiful piece. A little more data please.... No batting I assume? Did you just sew the front and back together around the edges right sides facing then turn it and sew up the opening?