Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One Flower Wednesdays.........The Ruby Slippers and gifts in the mail!

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young." -Henry Ford


 I was so happy to get a packet in the mail this week from the store where I ordered some Wizard of Oz fabric.....  I won't tell you all I received so I don't ruin the surprise but I will tell you that one of the fabrics I received was a gorgeous print of the famous Ruby Slippers.  I love how it looks like they sparkle.
This is my first attempt at fussy cutting the entire flower.....not a perfect job but I was, nonetheless, pleased with the result.....and if I use that old standard;  "Looking at it from a moving train"....it is nearly perfect! LOL....

There is a garden of beautiful flowers over at  Journey of aQuilter's One Flower Wednesdays .....please hop over there and check them out......


I am really starting to get excited about the Wizard of Oz Wallhanging.....in fact, I already have something started for next Wednesday!  I will be showing you at least 3 hexies next Wednesday because they will all go next to each other in said wall hanging.....I am beginning to sound like I have it all figured out, when in fact, I am sure that this, like many of my projects will just "evolve" into something resembling the idea in my head.....but then, I think that is probably half the fun......

Another wonderful surprise came in the mail this week from my DIL's parents.......my "Compadres" Janice and Bill.........In the Mexican culture the words "comadre" and "compadre" really have no word in English that is its equivalent......it is used when someone is a Godmother or Godfather to a child....he or she then becomes the parent's "Comadre or Compadre".......also when your child marries, you become his or her parent's "Comadre or Compadre" but it is used also to denote, for example....a BFF......and always used with positive conotations........the closest word I have heard maybe is the word, Comrade.
Well anyway..........my good friends and Compadres Janice and Bill and sent me this lovely sign which Janice said had my name all over it..........and she is right! Thanks Guys.....I love it.



This week I am working at my second job so I have to get as much accomplished today as possible since I won't be off tomorrow.........Going to try to work on my hexies and my stack of other projects........wish me luck!


 



13 comments:

Hilachas said...

Wow! Just keeping up with all you've been doing is exhausting:)
I love the red slippers and, you're right, they sparkle. The sign your Compadres sent you would look wonderful in my house as well.
Happy sewing!

Anthea said...

The Ruby Slippers Hexy Flower is one sparkly bloom! I love that fabric!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Love those gorgeous sparkling ruby slippers! Great job on the fussy cutting. Hope you accomplish a lot today...

Maria said...

Your flower does sparkle this week.
Love the slippers in the centre

Becky G said...

Good luck!!! Love, love, love the ruby slippers.... there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home... click, click, click.
Thanks too for sharing about the wonderful relationships which are called "comadre" and "compadre" in Mexican culture... from all I know, relationships are so close in this very family oriented culture... YEAH!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful flower and it certainly does look like it sparkles!

Teresa F. said...

Loe your Red Slippers hexie flower. Comadre e Compadre are also Portuguese words, not only Mexican. I know it because I'm portuguese.

Cherie said...

I love the flower! It really does look like its sparkling!! =D

Anonymous said...

love your hexie and i agree it does look like its sparling,well done.xx

Lots of Fabric 2 said...

Love the sparkley fabric with the slippers in the middle hae a good week jinnie

Karen said...

Excellent fussy cutting and what a fabulous flower! It sure does sparkle. My eyes lit up when I saw your name on the Sign-In Sheet. What would be next!

Rachel said...

Love the sparkle!!

Janet said...

The ruby slippers are priceless!