Translate

Friday, February 24, 2012

Grandma's Sewing Machine and the Gift of Friendship

"As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to love it more and more."                -Jules Renard   
My Mother-in-law, Ruth, and I were always such good friends........so close.............that was until that ugly creature, Mr. Alzeimers, stole her from me................and even knowing that it wasn't her fault that she now despised me, it was hard not to take it personally at times.............

My sweet Mother-in-law became that again in the last year of her life....."Sweet".  No longer was the mean Ruth to be found but she began to fade fast no longer able to walk, hardly able to eat.......we buried her last March.

Last week I began to think about the sewing machine she had given me together with the silver jewelry she said was mine when she was gone.   The jewelry was easy to use but for some reason I was angry at the sewing machine and I cast it out into a garage sale (it didn't sell) and then banished it into the garage.

As I said, last week I began to think about the old Singer and how nice it would look up here in my sewing room............I dusted it off and got Wayne and Josh to bring it in.  YES IT IS HEAVY!

I thought I had emptied the drawers out already but I found some little treasures inside:


Lots of thread, a seam guide, tons of pins, and a pin cushion.  The old Singer originally belonged to her Mother, Blasta Macik, (Czechoslovokia) and I even found a spool that came from there!


Check out the original oil can and the pin cushion (it is stuffed with sawdust!)


Here it is in it's new home.


I also got this gorgeous antique sewing basket from Ruth and had been using it for awhile

  She always kept it atop the sewing machine when it was hers and now it is back in it's old spot:


 And all is well with the world......................





On another note...............I just received this lovely embroidered hoop from Talia in a Craft Swap.  I has an open box with hearts flowing out of it......."The Gift of Friendship"..........Thank you again, Talia..........I Love, love, love it!



And lastly..........if you haven't signed up for
please do so now.........The Fat Quarter Shop has generously agreed to send a Fat Quarter Bundle of Tweet by Timeless Treasures to some lucky follower!  Just click on the link above and it will take you to the page where you can enter the giveaway.

Guess that is it for this time........ so...............TTFN!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

LOVE that the machine didn't sell and has come to a place of peace.That is so awesome! It is a hard road (or so I hear, as I start down it), really glad to know there could be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hilachas said...

Wow! You hadn't even told me about the sewing machine you had banished from your sight. I'm glad it didn't sell also and that you can now enjoy it. Funny how those things happen.

Teresa F. said...

Your sewing machine is divine. My grand mother had one very similar but unfortunately it's gone.
The sewing basket is also wonderful.

Anonymous said...

lovely post full of memories.xx

Needled Mom said...

I am so glad the machine did not sell. There must be a reason!!! It looks lovely in its new place and I loved seeing all of the special trinkets from inside. The sewing box is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous machine and gorgeous embroidery!

xoxo Kim

Josie McRazie said...

I have my grandmother's sewing machine but at the moment it does not work and has not for almost eight years. It died the same weekend my Mother did and I have just found it way to hard to get it repaired!

Michelle said...

That could be the twin of my great grandma's Singer -- love the oil can!