Translate

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Hello?? You are supposed to be FINISHING UFO's, not starting them......and some nice Birthday Gifts!

While I was organizing my sewing room a couple of weeks ago I came across a pattern for  the "Long Time Gone" quilt.....Gosh what a beautiful sampler quilt it is........so I may have started making some of the 5x5 pineapple blocks......

ok, ok.....I admit it.....I definitely started making the pineapple blocks....the pattern directions say you can make them with regular piecing or with paper piecing but I decided since there are 16 of them to do that I would try one of the machine embroidery in-the-hoop patterns and it works quite well...........

Here are the first 2 I've made in the hoop....you definitely have to stay with the machine since it is a "turn and fold" pattern.  I got smart after the first one and turned the iron-on stabilizer face up on the second one and ironed down as many of the pieces as possible so the presser foot wouldn't hang up on any of them....

I'm working on the 3rd one now.....and then I will get back to my vintage quilt which is on my WOOFA list to finish this month.....(I really am great with deadlines.....lol)

I celebrated my birthday this month and got some wonderful gifts........my Sister, Irene, gave these to me early because we wouldn't see each other on my BD:

Love the 2 new pincushions for my collection and a wonderful new tote bag plus this gorgeous trivet....what a pretty pattern, don't you think? The tote was full of lots of stuff but I wanted to show you the stuff she made for me....

My Sis Barbara gave me this fabulous fabric...

(yes I really DO need more fabric....lol) ....plus Barb is making me a surprise, she says.....I love celebrating my birthday for more than 1 day!!


And look at this gorgeous wall hanging my Sis, Lynette, sent me....she knows how I love all things Wizard of Oz so she appliqued some beautiful Munchkinland Flowers together with the poor Wicked Witch of the East who got trampled by Dorothy's house....

.....the yellow brick road is there....Kansas in sepia on the sides, and I believe I see the flying monkeys in the sky up there too....(I have a great imagination)   

Lynette mounted the piece into a canvas panel which framed perfectly!  

And I made a label for the quilt we all worked on at Mom's house and mailed it to Irene at Mom's address so she can sew it onto the quilt when she sews the binding on........Thank you, Mary Ann, for reminding me that we should do this..........








8 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Ah, but the occasional squirrel moment into startitis is not a bad thing - esp. when you're making something that pretty. And many happy wishes for your birth day - albeit a tad belated now. Looks like your sisters know you well and gave you great gifties too.
(and you're welcome - us Richardson's have to stick together!)

Maria said...

Happy Birthday.. Lots of lovely gifts from the sisters...
Your Pineapple Blocks look great..

Mary Ann Tate said...

Happy Birthday!!! Lucky you with all those gifts. Your blocks are wonderful too.

Needled Mom said...

The label is a great idea! Love your pineapple blocks. Happy belated birthday. Looks like your sisters know you well!

Barb said...

Happy Belated Birthday, you got some nice gifts there. Love the pineapple blocks, one day I will try it, one day!!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Ida happy birthday my friend and what wonderful gifts you have received from your sisters,you are a very clever family ,enjoy your beautiful gifts my friend xx

Shilpa said...

Amazing

Lynette said...

You've been busy for sure!!! I'm not surprised. Nice birthday gifts (if I do say so myself) and I love the label you made for Mama's quilt! All in a day's work.