Translate

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Done! Done! and Done!

 I am soooooooooooo happy!! Got the quilting done, sewed all the sections together and put the binding on the T-shirt quilt.  Here it is, front on the left and back on the right.




 I used T-shirt scraps and sewed them together to make the binding...........I am really pleased with how it worked out...........I used the decorative stitch that looks like the one you see on baseballs......and I am happy with both sides.........



 With T-shirts on both sides plus all the t-shirts had stabilizer I didn't add any more batting.........the quilt measures 63" x 82".......



....and weighs over 6 pounds!

I did have a couple of hiccups........first I decided to wash the top half to ensure that the water soluble in pen marks would be gone and I am so glad I did.  I knew some of the Tye-dyed T-shirts were bleeding when I ironed on the stabilizer with hot steam so I used ice cold water and the tye-dyed colors still ran like they were in a high stakes race!  


I was able to take some of the stains out but the top half does have some visible....but I don't think it is too bad....close up is noticeable...but over-all it doesn't look as bad as the photo above and thankfully the bleeding only shows on the back side......and I'm sure from an airplane or a fast moving train the stains aren't noticeable at all!
......but, seriously, I will now be sure to let my son know that it can only be dry cleaned....I don't think I would have mentioned it if I hadn't tried to wash it first....... 
 
I also had a little trouble when I sewed the top section to the bottom section and had to re-sew it so the top stitching on the back side looked better......but other than that for my first T-shirt quilt.......I'm happy with the results.





So I am ready to package it up and send it to my son.............I'm so excited to hear his reaction when he gets it........he has been waiting awhile for me to get this done and I really think it will be a big surprise...............






8 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such a wonderful keepsake for you son! Well done xx

Maria said...

Such a fantastic quilt for your son...
I always use colour catchers when washing quilts ...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That's a pretty great 'done' if you ask me! I was going to suggest those colour catchers too, but I see Maria already has. I've never used them but by all reports they work really well. Your son is going to be over the moon with this!

Lin said...

Well done Ida - great finish. xx

Sheryl said...

What a wonderful quilt you have made Ida - beautiful on both sides and your son will love it. What a great way to use up T-shirts. great work.

Needled Mom said...

That’s a double great finish. It looks fantastic from the blog post too! Your son is going to love it.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Ida wow what a wonderful gift to make your son,you are so clever my lovely friend,well done xx

Fiona said...

well done on a lovely quilt job... T shirt quilts are their own challenges but you have done it great...
Hugz