Translate

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

A Silk Purse.... a place to hang my rulers.... and trumpet vine gone for this year!

I belong to a sewing swap group and this round we are making a "Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear". Each sewist sent some unloved fabric to the others in the group and so forth.  The person who receives it will then make something out of it and send it back........This is what a got from Lynette......a beautiful Fall Table Topper.... Lynette made some beautiful Log Cabin Blocks. The fabric I sent her is the predominate fabric on the upper left and lower right log cabin blocks and the center piece in the other blocks.  Thanks Lynnie! I love it!



 While I am waiting for the stabilizer for the T-shirt quilt I made a place to hang my rulers.  I had been looking for something for awhile and while looking for the stabilizer at my local fabric store I went by the rulers and saw that they were hanging on the type of hooks you use in pegboard!  Well shoot, why didn't I think of that?  I remembered having a piece of pegboard in the garage so I went out there, put it on my table saw....cut it to size and Voila!  Exactly what I needed......Notice the scissors hanger.......I had bought it awhile back hoping it would work with the rulers but the hooks weren't right for rulers........they sure work great on scissors though!

I also worked out in the yard this morning and cut down my trumpet vine.........it had been growing against the rock wall and put some rather large cracks in it so now I have another project when the weather gets a bit cooler..........
Here is how it looked this summer.....so beautiful and the hummingbirds loved it so much!


and this is how the trumpet vine looks today.....

Unfortunately, this is what it has done to my wall....so I will need to repair it before next year because I don't want to disappoint my hummingbirds.  I know it will come back....it's an old hardy vine.  I just need to re-route it a little further from the wall..............






                                     





8 comments:

Cheryll said...

The sewing space addition looks great... & sew useful...
Love that you want to regrow the vine for the gorgeous hummingbirds...xox

Lin said...

What a nice table topper and your peg board works a treat. We too have trumpet vine although fortunately it has not managed to penetrate our walls! I just love the flowers. xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great idea for hanging your rulers (and scissors!). I have cup hooks attached to the end of my cutting table for some of my rulers and the ones I use the most fit into a nice slotted wooden 'thing' a friend made for me. The vine looked beautiful - didn't know it could cause so much damage though.

Needled Mom said...

Lynette’s topper turned out so nicely. I always love the Log Cabin block. You peg board solution looks fantastic. It’s a great way to stay organized and keep the cutting table neat. Yes, those trumpet vines are so aggressive. That was a huge job to cut it all back. The birds will be happy to see it back next year.

Hilachas said...

You have really been busy and all over the house. What a great idea for putting those useful rulers away when not in use. I love, love that tabletopper that Lynette made. Perfect for fall. And you know how I love that trumpet vine, so much that I have one of it’s children growing in my own back yard. I wonder how mine is doing....

Pink Rose said...

Hi Ida well done on your lovely work and what a shame your fence was damaged ,great that you have it all under control,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Sheryl said...

Great peg board for storing your rulers, Pretty tabletopper made by Lynette and looks like you have been busy in the garden -sad to see the vine all cut back.

Lynette said...

So glad you are enjoying the table topper. I think I may have to copy that idea for the rulers. Much handier than at the side of my table. Dang, that trumpet vine really did a lot of damage to that wall. It's crazy how strong a plant can be....keep us updated on the wall repair :)